Thursday, May 26, 2005

The Alchemist


I finished reading "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho after I heard a lot about it.
The book has a lot of messages within its lines. Everyone has a dream; we have to believe in it, we have to have a faith that we will achieve what we want. We meet though our way a lot of obstacles, and we usually get frustrated, disappointed, a case of boredom prevails.
The writer here points out that every obstacle that pops up in our way is a bless in fact, yet we feel bad when it happens, but when time passes, we realize its meaning and benefit in our way.
I felt relieved for using "Allah" instead of "God" in the book, and for showing some of the Islamic rules, customs and good personalities (discard the hookah).
The only part I didn’t like was at the end of the book, where Santiago -the main character of the story- had to turn himself to the wind, and had to talk with the desert and mountain… This part was boring someway and contained unneeded details.

Here are the quotes I liked in the book:

- I don't want to change anything, because I don't know how to deal with change. I'm used to the way I am.
- Every blessing ignored becomes a curse.
- Everything in life is an omen.
- The desert is a capricious lady, and sometimes she drives men crazy.
- If good things are coming, they will be a pleasant surprise. If bad things are, and you know in advance, you will suffer greatly before they even occur.
- She is a treasure greater than anything else I have won.
- I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you.
- There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.
- Because when we love, we always strive to become better than we are.

I plan to read “Veronica decides to die” for him afterwards, I heard it is stronger than the alchemist.

No comments:

 

eXTReMe Tracker